In the body of an adult, various microscopic cohabitants live. Most of them are beneficial and are our symbionts. These include about 500 species of bacteria that live mainly in the intestines. However, many forms of life, getting into the human body, begin to parasitize and poison the health of the host.
One type of unwanted neighbors are worms. They are parasitic worms that infect the intestines, liver, lungs, and, in rare cases, muscles. All types of parasitic worms are united under the name of helminths, and infection with them is helminthiasis.
To answer the question of how to treat worms, it is necessary to understand how they enter the human body. There are main ways of infection:
- Through the soil when infected with worms that spend part of their life cycle on earth. Their eggs or larvae in the process of development fall on vegetables and fruits, which are later eaten. Infected with helminths through the soil, animals subsequently transfer them to people.
- By contact with an infected person. The larvae can be spread through bedding, towels, and other items that an infected patient has used. According to statistics, helminths are present in the body of 60% of the population, migrants of Asian origin are a special risk group.
- By eating contaminated meat or fish. Eggs and larvae of worms are destroyed by prolonged exposure to high temperatures.
- Sometimes insect bites can be the cause of infection.
Once in the human body, worms actively multiply and release toxic waste products. Their accumulation and increase in numbers increases the symptoms of malaise. In order to get rid of the parasite, you need to see a doctor and undergo a course of treatment.
Signs of infection with worms in an adult
The presence of a parasite in the organs can be determined by external signs. These include skin manifestations that significantly worsen her condition and cause itching. For example, inflammation, acne, cracked heels, stratification of nails.
Infection with worms has similar symptoms to other diseases. Strengthening of various manifestations depends on the location of the helminth. In addition to skin rashes, intestinal disorders are characteristic:
- unstable stool;
- specific smell from the mouth, increased gas formation;
- itching in the anus;
- weight loss with a parallel increase in appetite.
Parasite toxins also affect the nervous system, causing headaches and irritability. With a significant increase in the number of helminth individuals, memory problems and depression may appear. The immune system is not restored due to a lack of vitamins and important elements. A person is constantly sick under the influence of viruses and bacteria. If the respiratory system is affected, coughing and choking attacks may occur.
If you find these symptoms, you should consult a doctor. A specialist, using the results of tests and a thorough examination, will establish the form of the parasite and prescribe medications.
Types of helminths that parasitize in the human body
Treatment of the disease is prescribed depending on the type of parasite that has settled in the internal organs. Various worms affect certain tissues and cause specific symptoms.
The main forms of infection by parasitic worms are distinguished:
- Enterobiasis is formed under the influence of pinworms. Small round organisms are localized in the intestines and cause severe itching on the skin of the anus.
- Trichinella penetrate the muscles through the system of blood vessels. Symptoms appear abruptly and unexpectedly in the form of fever, fever, swelling of the eyelids and face.
- Vlasoglavy belong to the nematodes and affect the large intestine. Signs of the disease are mild or absent. There may be dizziness, abdominal pain, inflammation of the appendix.
- The defeat of different types of tapeworms. These include bovine tapeworm, wide tapeworm, pork tapeworm. Parasites live in the intestines, differ in a ribbon-like body, divided into many small parts. Symptoms are characterized by dizziness, abdominal pain, stool disorders.
These forms of invasions are most often caused by non-compliance with personal hygiene, eating poorly fried meat. Pets are also a source of spread of the parasite.
If the patient indicates the symptoms of infection with worms, the doctor confirms the diagnosis with the help of laboratory tests. Most often, feces are examined for helminth eggs and enzyme immunoassay is performed. Additionally, scrapings from the anus, endoscopy and ultrasound can be studied.
Medicines needed for the treatment of worms
If helminths are found in the human body, the doctor prescribes medication. In order to get rid of the disease, many turn to traditional medicine. It is possible to use combined treatment, but its effectiveness will be monitored by a specialist.
The presence of worms in the internal organs is not a dangerous diagnosis if the disease is identified in time and a course of medications is prescribed. Their impact will be aimed at the destruction of the parasite that poisons the body of the infected. After the removal of helminths and their metabolic products, human health is restored.
Due to the need to suppress the parasite, the composition of medicines will contain components that affect their ability to absorb nutrients. Lack of nutrition and conditions for reproduction will lead to the death of worms.
Medicines according to the type of effect on worms are divided into the following types:
- Active components block the nervous and muscular system of worms. They develop paralysis, they cannot attach themselves to the walls of the intestines and are excreted from the body.
- The drug interferes with the processes of glucose oxidation in the body of the parasite, which causes their death.
- Drugs that block the formation of cellular tubulin and ATP synthesis.
- Medicines that affect the intestinal system of the helminth.
- Components that destroy the shell of worms. They are exposed to calcium and digested by the human intestinal system.
There are drugs of wide influence and aimed at a certain type of helminths. The choice of medication is carried out by the doctor on the basis of tests, the severity of symptoms and the method of treatment. In addition, the presence of possible contraindications to the use of the drug is taken into account.
Additionally, funds are prescribed that eliminate the manifestation of allergic reactions to parasite toxins. Taking these tablets reduces the level of poisoning with the waste products of worms and alleviates the symptoms of the disease. Auxiliary components are used individually for the complex course of helminthiasis.
Atypical methods of treating helminthiasis
The use of medicines is particularly effective in the fight against worms. The only drawback of drugs is their contraindications. For such situations, non-drug treatment is used:
- oxygen exposure;
- alcohol treatment.
The system of Indian medicine Ayurveda raises the general tone of the body, restores vitality and helps in the fight against helminths. According to this teaching, the cause of infection with worms is non-observance of personal hygiene and purity of thoughts. Special exercises are used to help maintain health, and laxative decoctions. Herbs combined with hot spices cleanse the body of toxins. Successfully used thyme, wormwood, St. John's wort with a break in the course for a week.
The essence of oxygen treatment is to saturate the cells of the gastrointestinal tract with the appropriate gas. To do this, a tube is inserted into the esophagus and oxygen is pumped through it. The procedure is repeated for several days. Ozone therapy is also used to kill worms. The tube with this method is inserted into the anus. An ozone-oxygen mixture is supplied through it, paralyzing helminths. Sometimes olive oil and ozone enemas are used.
Alcoholic beverages are used as a component in the treatment. Cognac and tea are mixed in equal amounts, and then drunk on an empty stomach with a laxative. Cognac is used as an independent medicine, one tablespoon for five days. Destroys helminths infusion of vodka with garlic for 10 days.
Methods of traditional medicine in the treatment of worms
The variety of folk remedies allows you to choose the best for each case of infection. Natural components that affect parasites include the following:
- Pumpkin and flax seeds combined with laxative decoctions.
- Infusions of wormwood, pomegranate.
- Phytoncides of garlic and onions.
- Ginger root with sugar.
- Dried clove seeds, ground in a coffee grinder.
- Enemas with castor oil and baking soda.
The choice of recipe depends on what types of helminths live in the body. Based on the test results, the parasitologist will select the optimal combination of different treatment methods.
Ways to protect against infection with worms
Maintaining health is possible subject to the rules of personal hygiene in all situations. Hands should be washed with soap and water after visiting public places and traveling in public transport. It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of underwear and prevent the accumulation of dirt under the nails.
Pets should be dewormed every six months. After contact with stray dogs and cats, it is important to clean the surface of the hands with antibacterial soap.
Vegetables, fruits and herbs should be eaten thoroughly washed. Meat and fish should be treated with high temperature for at least 40 minutes.
Compliance with these recommendations will help to avoid infection and subsequent treatment.